What is Herpes Esophagitis (Herpes in the throat)? The esophagus is the tube that starts next to your mouth and ends at the stomach. This is typically a food tube. It is used to take away food and drinks from your mouth to the stomach. Infection in this tube is called Herpes Esophagitis.
Table of Contents
- Why Herpes Esophagitis (Herpes in the throat) Occurs?
- Herpes Esophagitis Can Cause?
- Types Of Herpes Esophagitis (Herpes in throat)
- Risk Factors
- Strategies to reduce pain:
Esophagitis is the irritation and inflammation in your esophagus. Herpes Esophagitis (Herpes In Throat) is the viral infection in the esophagus that is caused by the herpes simplex virus. Have you ever heard about it? This is the virus that causes some cold sores on the lips or in the mouth. This virus can also cause infection in the esophagus.
Why Herpes Esophagitis (Herpes in the throat) Occurs?
Herpes Esophagitis (Herpes in the throat) occurs due to acid reflux. Acid reflux is a common condition known as heartburn, in the lower chest area.
Other reasons for this infection is bacterial, viral, or fungal infections.
Herpes Esophagitis Can Cause?
Herpes esophagitis (Herpes in the throat) can cause:
- symptoms that typically accompany a fever
- damage to the esophagus
- throat tissues
- painful or difficult swallowing
- chest pain
Types Of Herpes Esophagitis (Herpes in throat)
There are two types of Herpes Esophagitis (Herpes in the throat).
- herpes simplex virus HSV 1
- herpes simplex virus HSV 2
Herpes simplex virus HSV 1
You can develop a throat condition through close contact with someone having mouth ulcers, cold sores, or eye infections. It can also spread with oral sex.
- use soap and warm water when you are washing hands
- avoid contact with people who are suffering from this virus
- contact your doctor immediately
- stay away from your partner, don’t get close to them
2. Herpes simplex virus HSV 2
It is another form of the virus and often considered a sexually transmitted infection (STI). It spreads through skin-to-skin contact and causes genital herpes.
HSV-2 seldom causes herpes esophagitis, but engaging in oral sex with somebody who has dynamic herpes HSV-2 outbreak might lead to a few people creating herpes esophagitis. This virus normally transfers through vaginal, anal, or oral sex.
- Inform your partners
- have a safe sex
- use condoms
- Go to the doctor as soon as possible
The major risk factor is a weak immune system, which may result from:
- having HIV, leukemia, or lymphoma
- receiving chemotherapy for cancer
- taking immunosuppressant drugs, due to an organ or bone marrow transplant, for example
- an organ transplant
Its symptoms are:
- open sores in the mouth
- painful or difficult swallowing
- joint pain
- general malaise
Diagnostic tools are used to confirm that you have herpes esophagitis. These tests include:
- some blood tests
- a biopsy, in which a tissue sample is taken from the esophagus and it will be analyzed under a microscope
- an endoscopy, which includes embeddings a lean tube containing a light and camera down the throat to examine the esophagus for irritation and ulcers
- throat and mouth swabs (viral culture or molecular tests)
- urine molecular tests (genital herpes only)
It will identify the source of the condition also.
Your doctor will give you
- pain medication
- antiviral medication
- acyclovir (Zovirax)
- famciclovir (Famvir)
- valacyclovir (Valtrex)
Strategies to reduce pain:
Strategies that help to reduce pain
- stop smoking
- avoid foods, drinks, and medications that make the symptoms worse
- avoid alcohol and caffeine
- eat smaller meals
- keep the head elevated during sleep, by using more pillows
HP Thoughts: It’s not too late to make up for a health mishap as long as you give importance to proper well-being maintenance. Read our post to learn more — Health Practices for People Living with STIs.
Herpes Esophagitis (Herpes in the throat) is inflammation and irritation of the esophagus, and Herpes Esophagitis (Herpes in the throat) is a rare type that results from an HSV infection. It occurs due to acid reflux. It can cure by taking medications carefully.