A throbbing headache is pulsating, pounding, or rhythm like in nature and it occurs due to dilation of the vessels which supply the area of your brain and as a result of increased blood supply to the brain. Throbbing is rather a symptom and abnormal sensation which occurs due to increase blood supply to the brain. Whenever the blood rushes to the area of the brain, you may develop a severe headache. It is usually felt at the back of your neck and your temporal region and you need to relax and massage your temples and the neck area to reduce the headache.
What Are The Causes Of Throbbing Headache?
There is a variety of triggering factors for job and headache. There may be some serious causes of throbbing headaches which include a central nervous system. These causes warrant immediate treatment as delay may cause rupture of brain vessels and result in a stroke.
- A brain aneurysm is one of the dilations of The vessel that supplies the area of the brain which leads to increased blood pressure and throbbing headache as a result
- Brain hemorrhage or stroke occurs due to the rupture of a blood vessel due to high blood pressure or taking blood thinner medications.
- Inflammation of the brain substance which is also called as encephalitis
- road traffic accident which involves the area of the brain causing rupture of vessels inside it
- high level of fluid inside the brain which is also known as hydrocephalus may cause this condition
- Hypertension or increased blood pressure is one of the causes of headache
- inflammation of meninges which is called as meningitis
- increase pressure in the cerebrospinal fluid vasculitis
- Which occurs due to the information on the causes behind the brain area.
- Withdrawal of caffeine may cause throbbing headache which may be treated by taking rest and increasing the water intake
- pharyngitis and other respiratory tract infections
- alcohol intake
- allergy from any substance
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
There are different signs and symptoms with the patient my experience when he is suffering from throbbing headache and they are different and vary according to your age, sex, underlying disease conditions, and your immune system. Some symptoms may only be restricted to the central nervous system but in some patients, other systems may also be involved and nausea auditory or visual changes may also be accompanied.
- Popping up of your ears or irritability
- infection in your nasal sinuses which is referred to sinusitis
- arthralgia or joint pains
- myalgia or muscle pains
- Head lightness
- alterations in mood
- nausea and vomiting
- light sensitivity
- difficulty in concentrating the work
- increased confusional state
- projectile vomiting
- neck stiffness
- inability to speak
- Seizures or fits
When to Worry About Throbbing Headache?
Throbbing headache may respond to certain treatments at home or the medications prescribed by your medical practitioner but if you have a sudden severe attack of headache and it is not relieving by the previous therapies you should call your doctor immediately. Sometimes the throbbing headache occurs due to arterial aneurysms and if you if there aneurysm rupture due to high blood pressure you may experience the signs and symptoms of intracerebral Hematoma which causes dropping off one side of the face, dropping of mouth, dropping of eyelids, slurring of speech and inability to lift your arms.
These symptoms state that the aneurysm might have ruptured and you are suffering from stroke and you need medical help as soon as possible.
TREATMENT OF THROBBING HEADACHE
As soon as you suffer a throbbing headache you should seek medical help. Your doctor will just ask you about the brief history of your symptoms like
- For how long are you suffering from a headache?
- Does headache relief by any maneuver you do?
- Is that gets better by rest or any other maneuver you do?
- Is it relieved when you sit in a dark room?
- Do hot compresses bring you any good?
- Are you taking any medications currently?
After taking your brief history he may ask to perform some tests which may reveal any medical condition and other ailments causing throbbing headache and will prescribe you medications.
- MEDICATIONS: various medications can be prescribed by your medical practitioner which include acetaminophen and aspirin and they may treat the symptoms of your headache.
- RESTING IN A DARK ROOM: rest gives you relaxation therapy and resting in a dark room for a small period of time while you are suffering from headaches give you a soothing effect and you may see the improvement in your headache while you do so. It treats another kind of headaches like stress headache and hypertension headache as well.
- COLD COMPRESSES: cold compresses cause vasoconstriction and as a result decrease the blood supply to the area of the brain and decrease the throbbing sensation as a result. Do cold compresses at home which may treat your headache in no time.
- GETTING A GOOD MASSAGE: massage always gives a soothing therapy and leaves you tension free and relaxed. Whenever you are suffering from throbbing headache you may like to get a good massage and it will remove the source of stress and release anti-stress hormones which may relieve the headache of yours.
WHEN TO SEEK MEDICAL HELP?
You may seek medical help when the throbbing headache does not respond to the usual therapy you take for it. If you feel the dropping of the eyelid, dropping off a side of the face, inability to speak, inability to raise your arms, difficulty in walking, and severe headache, you should not wait to see medical help. Your doctor will treat you after taking a brief history of your condition which will help you get rid of your headache.
THE FINAL VERDICT:
A throbbing headache is a kind of headache which occurs due to increased blood supply to a certain part of the brain. It is more common in the temporal region and at the nape of the neck. Try to get proper rest, water, and take your medications on time to relieve such kind of headache. In case of emergency, you must seek medical help.